Whether it is for your home, for travel, or for an event, cutlery is a basic need that comes with many decisions. You have to balance the need to find something affordable and sustainable with something that will fit your budget and still look attractive on your table.
Durable utensils are important but they must also be easy to care for in these busy, modern times. If you can’t put them in the dishwasher, will that be the right utensil set for you?
Every aspect of the utensils you buy and use has to be right from using them everyday to eat your meals, to washing, storing, and then handling them when it is time to let them go.
What is bamboo cutlery?
Just like the name says, bamboo cutlery is cutlery made from bamboo. Different sets are available but the typical bamboo cutlery set is the same as any other material: spoon, fork, knife.
Bamboo is one of the most sustainable, environmentally-conscious materials in the world. The bamboo plant grows rapidly and needs very little intervention from farmers to continue growing. Parts can be harvested from the plant and the remainder will just continue to grow making it perfect for a number of uses in and around the house.
Bamboo cutlery is also perfect to bring with you whether it is to restaurants, on picnics, or when traveling. They are super light and super durable and you can be more comfortable eating with utensils that you are familiar with.
Is bamboo good for cutlery?
Yes! Bamboo is absolutely good for cutlery for several reasons:
- Can be used for hot food, cold food, hard foods, and soft foods
- Lightweight. The average bamboo cutlery set of a fork, knife and spoon weighs just about the same as 1 metal spoon
- Bamboo will last about 3 times longer than wood
- Sets are 100% all-natural with no chemicals
- Very long-lasting and durable
- When they do eventually wear out, bamboo cutlery utensils can be recycled
- Bamboo utensils are also compostable
Are bamboo utensils good?
Bamboo utensils are good for the user and for the environment. You can choose between reusable utensils or sets that may end up thrown away like during an event. For that, you would want a lower-cost set or even a single type of cutlery rather than a full set. Even if you did go with a full set, you would be saving time, money, and the planet over single-use plastic cutlery.
In addition to the benefits listed above, bamboo utensils:
- Are heat resistant
- Are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- Do not absorb water but are not dishwasher safe
- Do not cause weird tastes to your food. This is commonly found when using plastic utensils and may be related to the chemicals used to create them.
Is bamboo cutlery disposable?
As with any other utensil, there are disposable bamboo cutlery options. Look for brands that are labeled as 100% organic, eco friendly, and consider buying from companies that are making strides in working to protect the planet.
How long do bamboo spoons last?
There is a lot of conflicting information regarding how long a bamboo spoon will last and it may come down to how frequently they are used and how carefully they are cared for. Some companies say that their utensils are very long-lasting while others say that you can expect to get 60-90 uses out of them.
It may come down to trial and error to see which brands work best for your needs and which brands last the longest.
Where can you buy bamboo cutlery?
There are many, many places to buy bamboo cutlery pieces and sets. Sets can range from two to seven pieces. You can find sets that have cute pouches to make it easier to travel with them, just tuck the pouch in your bag and you are ready for any meal that comes your way.
The average set will contain a fork, a spoon, and a knife. Some sets come with a straw and may have a straw cleaning brush as well. Additionally, chopsticks can be included in sets.
Here are some different sets with the price range demonstrated:
- From Amazon: Set includes a fork, knife, straw, chopsticks, and holder in several color choices. $13.99
- From Kroger: Set of 100 forks. $2.99
- From Pottery Barn: Set of 5 stainless steel and bamboo including salad fork, dinner fork, soup spoon, dessert spoon, knife $70
- From Walmart: 4 piece travel set including a fork, spoon, knife, chopsticks, and holder $8.07. Another set which includes these pieces plus a straw and straw cleaning brush is $10.96. A set of 4 of the 7 piece sets is $29.57
- From Pier 1: A set of 12 forks is $16.67
Tip: You can get 1% to 20% cash back, or more, for your purchases at 1,000’s of featured stores on shopping rewards sites like Honey, MyPoints, or Swagbucks.
There are also hundreds of bamboo-friendly websites that sell their own sets. Some of these websites have more info available about how bamboo is farmed and harvested, who directly benefits from the purchase of this cutlery, and how we can all help out our planet even if it seems to be just a little thing.
Final Thoughts on Bamboo Cutlery
If you only think of bamboo as panda food, you aren’t alone. Most people do not give a lot of thought to their cutlery until they get a visual representation of the impact that single-use plastic items really make.
Of the millions of tons of trash that is created and dumped every year, the bulk of it is some type of plastic. And, as if it is not bad enough that we have landfills brimming to overflowing, did you know that the majority of the trash that is in the oceans comes from the land, and yes, most of that is plastic too.
It is a very simple thing to reduce this one area of plastic consumption by turning to natural utensils whenever possible. Buy a set with a holder in your favorite color and it becomes stylish for on-the-go eating. Who knows, you might even become a trendsetter. If you get one person to choose sustainable cutlery and they go and convince one person you’ve set the ball rolling.
- The Ultimate StubHub Savings Hack!
- What is Mining Cryptocurrency?
- What is the Medicare Tax Rate in 2020? Definitions & Explanations
- Best Gas Rewards Programs 2020: Earn Fuel Discounts & More
- Make Your Money Work For You: 4 Steps to Grow Your Wealth
- Vindale Research Review and Alternatives for Paid Surveys
- 5 Ways to Get Paid & Earn Money on YouTube
- Guide to Valentine’s Day Specials and Deals 2020
- Ways for Teenagers to Make Money Online
- The Best Wine Subscription Boxes of 2020
- AirPods Black Friday Deals 2021
- The 20 Most Frequently Asked Questions from Google Searchers