Side hustles can be a great way to bring in extra cash or they can lead to leaving a full-time job to build a business. Women make up about 31% of small business owners, an increase of 27% over last year alone.
Not every woman wants to be part of the growing number of small business owners but almost all of them do want to set their own schedule, make extra money and do things they enjoy doing. These side hustle ideas can help those women achieve their goals, get more money, and have more time for life. There are even high-paying side hustles that pay $100K a year – or more.
How can a woman make quick cash?
Ask an “economics expert” how to get extra money and they are going to say “get a second, part-time job” or start your own business. Those ideas may work for some but not for all women, so here are some more ideas that might work better.
- Sell things you don’t need any longer. Top choices include clothing, electronics, and exercise equipment
- Rent space that you are not using. Even just a single parking spot could bring in a good deal of extra cash especially in the right area
- Choose the type of side hustle that allows you to work at will, take time off as needed, and will always be in demand like working as a personal chef. Build up a client base and they will likely fight over your food and services.
- Bring in a few extra bucks by taking online surveys. Keep reading to learn more.
Is getting paid to take surveys legit?
Yes! You absolutely can make some decent money by taking surveys but the thing about making money online is that it can sometimes be confusing, maybe even scary. You always want to be sure that you are being safe, especially online.
Let’s start with why a company would pay you to take a survey in the first place:
- They need your opinion and setting up focus groups is costly and time-consuming.
- Because women account for the lion’s share of consumer spending smart companies want to hear their voices. Women control $31.8 trillion (That’s trillion with a capital T) dollars worldwide. In the US alone, women have direct control or serious influence of 85% of consumer spending dollars.
- Setting up surveys and offering a reward of some kind is beneficial to the company and to the person who is taking the survey.
There are some pitfalls though. It is important to know them whether your goal is to make a few bucks or a few hundred dollars.
- There are survey-related scams. The most common one is an ad or email that promises large dollar amounts per survey. No one is offering $300 per survey, I assure you.
- Never pay to join a survey website especially when there are so many really good ones that are free to join and easy to use
- Never give out personal information such as your social security number, driver’s license information, or bank routing information
The 5 top survey sites for women
Most survey sites are interesting not only for the surveys but for the other opportunities to make money. Many women will be able to find several ways to both make and save money on these sites. Even a stay-at-home mom can make a little money while waiting to pick her kids up at school.
- Swagbucks is free to join so create an account immediately
- You can start to earn money immediately with the $10 sign-on bonus
- Earn points which are called Swagbucks with surveys, daily polls, playing games, and other activities on the site
- Start saving money while you earn money by uploading receipts to earn more Swagbucks or use the available coupons and promo codes while you shop online.
- Some offers will include the possibility of earning cash back on your purchase
- Points can be used for a variety of rewards including cash or gift cards from thousands of retailers.
#2. Inbox Dollars
- Inbox Dollars is free and easy to join for anyone over the age of 18
- Earn a $5 welcome bonus when you sign up
- Earn extra spending money by taking surveys, reading emails, watching videos, and using coupons
- Like Swagbucks, you can earn cash back on purchases with Inbox Dollars
- Reward options do include gift cards from favorite retailers
#3. Survey Junkie
- Survey Junkie typically pays an average of $1-3 per survey that you qualify for
- In addition to surveys, you can take part in focus groups
- If you elect to become part of SJ Pulse, you can also be paid for your digital browsing habits
- MyPoints offers a $10 sign-on bonus
- You can earn points by doing surveys, watching videos, and shopping
- Rewards include gift cards or you can cash out
- Upromise is one of the best sites for women, especially women with college-bound children
- Link a 529 plan and earn an extra $25 welcome bonus
- Sign up for their branded credit card to earn even more rewards at an astonishing pace.
What are the top 5 side hustles for women?
It’s true that taking surveys is a fun diversion and a way to make some extra money but if you need a side hustle idea that brings in extra income, you can try one of these. Lucrative side hustle concepts are as close as your computer screen or you can take a favorite hobby or passion and turn that into a fun, satisfying way of making money.
#1. Teach Your Passion
The easiest way to make extra income without being tied to another pointless job is to do something you love. Take something you enjoy and are good at and then teach it to others:
- Run a group fitness class. You can get certified in yoga, cardio, and strength training online and then set up your own classes with your own schedule.
- Become an online teacher. Teaching English online is one way to make good money. VIPKid is only one of the many online teaching sites. You can make $22 an hour or more
- Create and sell your own online courses on any topic you feel comfortable in
#2. Write Your Own Ticket
Creativity is a great resource for a side hustle.
- Take up freelance writing by signing up at Fiverr or other sites. From writing blog posts to creating content, you can be making a full-time income in part-time hours
- Resume writing can pay very well because it is so important and so many people just can’t seem to get it right.
- A freelance writer may also make good money by editing college admission essays.
#3. Make their chores, yours
Despite being roughly half of the workforce in the US, women are still doing more than half of the housework in the average home, doing 58% of the laundry and cleaning, and just slightly less than that of the cooking. Why not take make those chores a lucrative side hustle?
- Become a personal chef. Specialize in quick, healthy meals and the fitness crowd will practically throw money at you
- Set up a mobile laundry service. This would be especially successful in a college town
- Start a cleaning service. Start small and eventually it could become a full business
- Provide babysitting services whether it is in your own home or theirs.
- Perform administrative tasks such as setting appointments, answering emails, and setting reminders for important dates
#4. While you are in your car
There you are, in your car again and seriously, since you are already on the road, why not turn it into a way to make extra cash?
- Become a food delivery driver for a service like Postmates or work with local small businesses.
- Use your car as a ride-sharing service
- Become a local tour guide and show people the interesting parts of your city
- Take people on a local food tour
- Take people on a wine tasting or microbrewery tour. Resist the urge to call it a pub crawl though.
#5. I Spy to Make Money, Guys
Since women spend most of the money online and in stores, it would stand to reason that someone would pay them to do just that. Shopping can be a side hustle. Who knew?
- Mystery shopping requires the ability to fulfill an assignment and may require a smartphone with a quality camera and internet access.
- You may be asked to buy digital or physical products as part of the assignment. You typically are reimbursed for this and can keep the item at the end of the job.
- WARNING: Do not fall for the mystery shopping at the bank scam where the scammers send you a huge check that must be deposited into your account. The bogus check will bounce and you will have overdraft fees and additional problems plus your bank account could be drained to cover the cost of the bad check.
What are the highest paid side hustles?
All side business ideas have pros and cons so it is impossible to predict which will work well for you and which will not. For example, food delivery drivers may have high and low periods based on the time of year and their location.
Here are some additional high-paying side hustle ideas:
- A wedding photography business will always do fairly well but could have problems with over-saturation especially in smaller areas
- Online marketing can be a great source of fairly passive income but you have to know who your targets are and how to best reach them.
- Virtual assistants are in demand for businesses of every size and this is a great gig for stay at home moms but you will have to be able to set aside some time and will need a computer, laptop, or other devices to get started
- Customer service reps can work from home. You will need a phone, computer, and high-speed internet for most positions. Some require a headset and very few companies provide these for you.
What are some funny side hustles for women?
Life doesn’t always have to be so serious. You can make some money while having a good time.
- Get paid to lose weight. That’s right, lose some pounds and gain some coins with apps like Healthy Wage, Sweatcoin, Stepbet, and Cashwalk
- Become a speaker or comedian for corporate events.
- Dress up in costumes for other events
- Create and then monetize video content for makeup tutorials, unboxing videos, or funny videos about your cat
Bottom Line on Side Hustles for Women
There are plenty of ways for women to make extra income. A side hustle can be fun and playful or it can be a serious business idea with serious earning potential. Find something that lets you get that cash but still have time to enjoy it because extra income should relieve your stress not cause more of it.
- 275 SB Bonus To Try In-Store Deals
- Saving for College: How Much Do You Need to Get Started
- All You Need to Know About GoodRx for Pets
- 23 Easy as pie ways to make money in 2021
- A Brief History of Bill Gates: From Microsoft to Today
- What is my Google Play Gift Card Balance?
- Merchants that Take Bitcoin
- What To Sell On eBay
- Sam Walton: The Genius Behind WalMart
- 9 Proven Ways to Make Money from Your Android Phone
- How to sell clothes online
- How to Make Money with Online Games